If you feel that you are missing out on the quintessential Easter indulgence, this recipe is for you.
Enjoy warm with lashings of butter and a hot cup of tea or coffee.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Beat the eggs, and grate the orange peel finely.
- FOR THE BUNS: Mix the coconut flour and almond flour together. Add the baking powder and the salt and mix well. Add the eggs, milk, orange peel and spices and mix well. Stir in the Xylitol - use 30ml for a spicier bun and add up to 60ml for a sweet bun. Split the mixture into 5 or 6 palm sized balls and roll to shape. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden.
- FOR THE CROSS BATTER: Mix all the ingredients together and place in a piping bag. Pipe a cross onto each bun and bake for a further 5 minutes. Remove and allow to cool, or serve warm with the spiced butter or normal butter.
- FOR THE SPICED BUTTER: Stir all the ingredients together until smooth and serve with your hot cross buns.