Spinach ricotta gnocchi, Italian dumplings made with ricotta cheese and spinach.
This is a no flour, low carb, gluten free dish of spinach yumminess.
- Preheat the oven to 175C.
- Finely chop the spring onions and dice the italian tomatoes.
- GNOCCHI: Wilt the spinach, cool then squeeze out excess moisture. Chop the spinach finely then add crumbled ricotta, onion, beaten egg, parmesan and seasonings. Mould the mixture into small balls and place onto a greased baking tray. Dot the balls with knobs of butter and bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove from the oven and drizzle with olive oil.
- Lower the oven temperature to 150C.
- POMODORO: Sauté the onion and celery slowly in butter until soft, in an ovenproof pot. Stir in the tomato concentrate and cook for 2 minutes. Add the wine and reduce for 2 minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes, garlic and herbs and allow to come to a gentle boil. Place in the oven cook for 2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes. Take it out of the oven and allow to cool. Puree once cool, but not completely smooth. You can add the xylitol to offset the acidity. Add the fresh basil and season to taste.
- Serve the sauce with the gnocchi.
- The sauce keeps for ages and can be frozen.